Lessons for students of all levels
HomeSchoolPiano has been created to teach absolute beginners the piano. However, the more advanced levels are perfect for students who are more advanced, or coming back to the piano after a hiatus.
Which lesson should I begin with?
CorePiano: this course is only necessary if you are brand new to the piano. If you've never touched a piano, this is the course to begin with.
Level 1-3: these three courses each have 6 units that contain 6 lessons. This is 36 lessons for each level, plus 6 quizzes per level. You should progress in order through the levels and the lessons. After completing all 6 lessons in a unit, take the quiz for a certificate.
How are the courses structured?
Each course (levels 1 through 3) is broken into 6 units with 6 lessons in each unit. At the end of each unit there is a quiz.
So the course format is as follows: Course > Unit > Lesson
How long should I spend on each lesson?
It is recommended that you go at your own pace. There is no rush, and there is no "normal" amount of time it should take to complete a lesson. With that in mind, here are some general guidelines.
- Technique: you should practice this lesson first and continue to practice these concepts while moving on the the next lessons in the unit. So, do not practice it for one day and forget about it for the rest of the week.
- Rhythm: this lesson should only take a day or two to complete and you can come back to it if you need rhythm help. The rhythms in this lesson will show up in the rest of the unit!
- Reading Music: this lesson will teach you how to read the music for the song (next lesson) and will take most students a few days to complete.
- Song: this lesson will likely take most students anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to complete. Take your time!
- Improvisation: if you've improvised before, this lesson might only take a few days. If not, you might spend one or more weeks on this lesson.
- Bonus: this lesson is a bonus (extra-credit) and takes students one or more weeks depending on how much they want to challenge themselves.
It takes most students anywhere from 2-6 weeks to complete each unit. And, on average it takes about 1-3 years to complete the entire program.
Again, it is important to go at your own pace and NOT compare your progress to that of others. Everyone learns differently and at their own pace!
Do I need to complete the lessons in order?
While it is recommended that you do the lessons in order since they build upon one another, the choice is yours.
HomeSchoolPiano gives you the flexibility to move between lessons at will and repeat lessons as much as you want. However, once you mark a lesson complete, it can not be marked incomplete.
What if I need more help?
If you need technical support, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the chat button in the bottom-right of the page.
If you need help with the lessons, we've created the Coaching With Willie program that lets you study directly with Willie through both private 1-on-1 and group lessons. Learn more.